December 15, 2009
Here is a perfect new salad recipe for the Holiday Season!
Red & White Quinoa with balsamic roasted sweet potatoes, roasted beets & kale, dried cranberries, toasted almonds & chives.
1 cup red quinoa (rinsed)
1 cup white quinoa (rinsed)
1 large sweet potato, diced small
1 large red beet, diced into cubes
1 bunch Kale- flat leaf
2 tablespoons of dried cranberries
½ cup toasted almonds
Squeeze of fresh lemon
Extra Virgin Olive oil
1 cup balsamic vinegar
Freshly chopped parsley or basil
Pepper to taste
½ pound of baby arugula or baby spinach
1. Bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add the rinsed quinoa.
2. Lower heat to a simmer and let cook until the water is absorbed (about 15 minutes). About 5 minutes before it is done.
3. Remove from the heat and fluff the quinoa with a fork. Allow Quinoa to cool in large separate bowl.
4. Coat sweet potatoes and beets with balsamic vinegar and roast in oven at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. Then add to quinoa mixture.
5. De-stem the kale and cut into ribbons ½ inch thick. Add to warm quinoa mixture. The heat from the quinoa will wilt the quinoa.
6. Add cranberries, toasted almonds, parsely or basil. Give it a squeeze of fresh lemon, drizzle with a little olive oil and a splash of balsamic vinegar.
7. Add garlic salt and pepper.
8. You can either mix in a handful of baby arugula or spinach.
Look for the Quinoa Salad at a sweetgreen near you in January!